Harry Maguire has endured a disappointing 2022-23 season at Manchester United, struggling to feature in the first-team under Erik ten Hag.
The 30-year-old arrived at Old Trafford in 2019 in a deal worth £80 million, making him one of Man Utd’s most expensive transfer signings.
But now he is behind Raphael Varane, Lisandro Martinez and Victor Lindelof in the pecking order, with his England spot also under threat due to lack of game time.
The Three Lions boss Gareth Southgate recently admitted the defender could lose his place if his club struggles continue.
Maguire will be pushing for an exit this summer to retain his spot in the national team.
ESPN recently reported that United anticipate interest from West Ham United who asked about his availability in the January transfer window.
And now the Daily Mail are claiming the Red Devils are willing to hand him a £10m if he leaves Old Trafford in the coming transfer window.
The England international still has two years left on his £190,000-a-week contract. But he would likely earn only half of that at another club, leaving United to pay £10m to get him off their books.
Maguire’s transfer would make sense for all the parties concerned.
The player can hope to revive his career at the Hammers as he looks to have a very slim chance of first-team football at Old Trafford.
West Ham will get a top-class defender who has proved his skills in the English top-flight.
Meanwhile, United have the opportunity to recoup some of the £80m transfer fee they paid to Leicester City in 2019.
They could use those funds to add another young defender to their ranks.
Raphael Varane has been brilliant at Old Trafford but he has turned 30 and only has a few years left at the top level of football.
Latest West Ham News
- West Ham eye another European trophy after Conference League success last season
- Preview: Luton Town vs West Ham United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- West Ham in July: Six pre-season fixtures as Moyes aims to make a comeback in 2023-24
- West Ham want Harry Maguire, Man Utd might need to cover £10m in wages
- West Ham likely to keep David Moyes as manager for next season
- Preview: West Ham United vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- West Ham v Arsenal: Declan Rice set for transfer audition
- West Ham earmark Michael Carrick as potential next manager
- West Ham United vs Chelsea Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- West Ham reject offer from Chelsea for Michail Antonio