West Ham United are weighing up a £17million bid for Manchester City loanee Yangel Herrera amid Granada’s financial turmoil.
According to Spanish publication AS, the Hammers are ready to make a sizeable investment to bring in the 23-year-old midfielder in the summer.
Herrera has spent the last two years on loan at Granada, where he has established himself as a permanent first-team fixture and one of the Spaniards’ standout performers.
The versatile Venezuelan midfielder has clocked up eight goals and two assists in 43 competitive outings this season, playing a huge part in Granada’s impressive Europa League run.
Despite the La Liga side’s desperate desire to keep Herrera permanently, they cannot afford to meet City’s £17m asking price.
The talented youngster will hardly return to the Etihad once his loan expires in the summer, with Pep Guardiola boasting a midfield department jammed-full of world-class players.
Though the Cityzens recognized his potential four years ago, they have never handed him the real chance to showcase his abilities on a senior level.
Instead, the current Premier League leaders will be looking to offload the ex-Atletico Venezuela youth academy graduate this summer.
Given his electric performances and combative style of play, Herrera could be the perfect addition to David Moyes’ squad.
The English manager considers reinforcing his midfield at the end of the season.
Declan Rice and Tomas Soucek have been remarkable this term, but the Hammers lack depth in the midfield area.
Mark Noble has rarely disappointed when being called into action, but he is already 33 and cannot keep up with the exhausting Premier League pace.
So Moyes is thinking of increasing the numbers in the centre of the park and sees Herrera as an instant improvement on his current backup options.
Latest West Ham News
- West Ham eye another European trophy after Conference League success last season
- Preview: Luton Town vs West Ham United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- West Ham in July: Six pre-season fixtures as Moyes aims to make a comeback in 2023-24
- West Ham want Harry Maguire, Man Utd might need to cover £10m in wages
- West Ham likely to keep David Moyes as manager for next season
- Preview: West Ham United vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- West Ham v Arsenal: Declan Rice set for transfer audition
- West Ham earmark Michael Carrick as potential next manager
- West Ham United vs Chelsea Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- West Ham reject offer from Chelsea for Michail Antonio