West Ham United are weighing up a £17million bid for Manchester City loanee Yangel Herrera amid Granada’s financial turmoil.
According to Spanish publication AS, the Hammers are ready to make a sizeable investment to bring in the 23-year-old midfielder in the summer.
Herrera has spent the last two years on loan at Granada, where he has established himself as a permanent first-team fixture and one of the Spaniards’ standout performers.
The versatile Venezuelan midfielder has clocked up eight goals and two assists in 43 competitive outings this season, playing a huge part in Granada’s impressive Europa League run.
Despite the La Liga side’s desperate desire to keep Herrera permanently, they cannot afford to meet City’s £17m asking price.
The talented youngster will hardly return to the Etihad once his loan expires in the summer, with Pep Guardiola boasting a midfield department jammed-full of world-class players.
Though the Cityzens recognized his potential four years ago, they have never handed him the real chance to showcase his abilities on a senior level.
Instead, the current Premier League leaders will be looking to offload the ex-Atletico Venezuela youth academy graduate this summer.
Given his electric performances and combative style of play, Herrera could be the perfect addition to David Moyes’ squad.
The English manager considers reinforcing his midfield at the end of the season.
Declan Rice and Tomas Soucek have been remarkable this term, but the Hammers lack depth in the midfield area.
Mark Noble has rarely disappointed when being called into action, but he is already 33 and cannot keep up with the exhausting Premier League pace.
So Moyes is thinking of increasing the numbers in the centre of the park and sees Herrera as an instant improvement on his current backup options.
Latest West Ham News
- West Ham United line up January bid for PSG’s Abdou Diallo
- David Moyes wants more from Declan Rice in the second half of the season
- West Ham plot summer swoop for former star striker
- West Ham and Arsenal set for transfer tug-of-war for Joachim Andersen
- David Moyes slams referee over Fabian Balbuena red card
- West Ham United vs Chelsea – Premier League Preview, Team News & Predicted Line-ups
- West Ham plot summer swoop for Man City loanee Yangel Herrera
- West Ham join race for in-demand Sam Johnstone
- Aston Villa ready to challenge West Ham for Jesse Lingard
- West Ham line up £40m bid for La Liga star forward