West Ham United are weighing up a £17million bid for Manchester City loanee Yangel Herrera amid Granada’s financial turmoil.
According to Spanish publication AS, the Hammers are ready to make a sizeable investment to bring in the 23-year-old midfielder in the summer.
Herrera has spent the last two years on loan at Granada, where he has established himself as a permanent first-team fixture and one of the Spaniards’ standout performers.
The versatile Venezuelan midfielder has clocked up eight goals and two assists in 43 competitive outings this season, playing a huge part in Granada’s impressive Europa League run.
Despite the La Liga side’s desperate desire to keep Herrera permanently, they cannot afford to meet City’s £17m asking price.
The talented youngster will hardly return to the Etihad once his loan expires in the summer, with Pep Guardiola boasting a midfield department jammed-full of world-class players.
Though the Cityzens recognized his potential four years ago, they have never handed him the real chance to showcase his abilities on a senior level.
Instead, the current Premier League leaders will be looking to offload the ex-Atletico Venezuela youth academy graduate this summer.
Given his electric performances and combative style of play, Herrera could be the perfect addition to David Moyes’ squad.
The English manager considers reinforcing his midfield at the end of the season.
Declan Rice and Tomas Soucek have been remarkable this term, but the Hammers lack depth in the midfield area.
Mark Noble has rarely disappointed when being called into action, but he is already 33 and cannot keep up with the exhausting Premier League pace.
So Moyes is thinking of increasing the numbers in the centre of the park and sees Herrera as an instant improvement on his current backup options.
Latest West Ham News
- West Ham United’s 2022/23 Premier League Fixtures Announced – Key Highlights
- West Ham United Transfer News – David Moyes Eye Up Three Reinforcements
- West Ham United vs Manchester City Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- West Ham’s Europa League Dream Leaves On; Must-Win Weekend Game vs Burnley; Declan Rice Transfer Prediction
- West Ham April 2022 Preview: Decisive month for European and domestic campaigns
- David Moyes Hails West Ham’s ‘Improved’ Performance Against Wolverhampton
- West Ham United vs Watford: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- West Ham United line up January bid for PSG’s Abdou Diallo
- David Moyes wants more from Declan Rice in the second half of the season
- West Ham plot summer swoop for former star striker